Tuesday, 1 November 2011

Several updates which I forgot to put on here.

I decided that in order to gain some experience in Illustrator, i'd take an existing interface and attempt to replicate it without tracing or colour grabbing, this is what I did.

ABOVE: The original Persona 4 main menu.
ABOVE: My version of the Persona 4 main menu.

As you can see it's a pretty accurate rendition. I then decided to rearrange the menu elements into something of my own creation:

ABOVE: My remixed version of the Persona 4 main menu

---


Today I finished compiling the first proof of concept for my project. It's a combination of two things:

1. A test interface I made in Illustrator and then animated in Flash. This is just one of many designs which I am working on right now. It's definitely not the final design, but its purpose was to allow me to work through the whole export process for each element so I knew what to expect and could iron out any problems which I ran into. As it happened, there were very few.

2. A 3D animated background which would be representative of gameplay from the imaginary game the menu would be used in. For this animation I attempted a sci-fi setting but failed miserably. The textures for the paths are made in illustrator using a plastic wrap effect to make them look more shiny. It didn't work too well. Also there's a problem which makes everything translucent. As for the character, he was a five minute job. I wanted to make a human character wearing a helmet which looked pretty spacey, but what you see there now is just a terrible placeholder with a terrible placeholder animation.

So, bringing these two lackluster elements together, I bring you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AifPLC-UpA
AVOVE: Proof Of Concept 1

As for the next part of the plan, more, better laid out and better executed interfaces, a gradually improving background scene, and some much needed direction for the project. I've been pretty lazy so far but i'm getting into the swing of things now.

No comments:

Post a Comment